Score vs Frags/Kills

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
Ishq
Project Head

Score vs Frags/Kills

Post by Ishq »

This is, arguably, the largest non-gameplay change between 1.1 and GPP.

Frags/Kills are just basically the the number of aliens/humans have you fired the last shot upon, regardless of total percentage of damage.

Score offers a points based on damage done (meaning you get points from assists) and base destruction.

While I find score to be superior to frags on the grounds that it is a more holistic representation of your overall performance, it is far from perfect. I'm curious to hear what other people's take on this is and whether other people care to see how many kills they have (I personally am against this. I feel it promotes camping for a high killcount against weaker opponents instead trying to win the game). Also, feel free to propose alternative forumla for score calculation.

gavlig
Animator

Re: Score vs Frags/Kills

Post by gavlig »

score ftw! I've been killing for frags for too long, it's time to make some changes! :)

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

score instead of frags seems good, I mean, it works for other games so why not
obviously you should get a lot more points for killing bigger aliens and less for destroying buildings
it also seems logical that you get credits for destroying structures and builders should get points for all the aliens/humans that get killed by the structures they made

Qrntz
Dragoon

Post by Qrntz »

Score. Eliminates KS. Rewards accordingly. Non-uniform gain.
Formula? I don't know, but perhaps you shouldn't get loads of score for razing an already-dead (unpowered) base.
Perhaps, just a percentile of a building's value is given to whoever destroys it while it's unpowered?
I also find nitpicky stuff like determining score gain based on if your opponent did/did not use a medkit, was/was not deeply wounded (< 10 hp) interesting to fiddle with, but that's just my view on this.

Asvarox
Mantis

Post by Asvarox »

Definitely score>kills. And indeed, while it's better, it's still not good.

The formula for kills isn't really that hard to polish, the main issue I have with score is how builders are rewarded. It's quite hard to measure how much the builder contributed to the team without making it abusable.

Random thoughts:

• There should be no/little score given for killing disabled (unpowered) buildings.
  • If the first is being implemented, I think there should be an extra reward for killing "powering" building depending on how many building it powers.
  • Destroying buildings after SD contributes more towards team's victory, so I believe "after SD" kills should have some bonus score too.
  • "Score value" of individual player depending on his score (basically, the more points player A has, the more points player B gets for killing him). I think it could be interesting if balanced properly.
Erwin Rommel

Post by Erwin Rommel »

IMHO, score>kills/frags.

I don't agree that unpowered buildings shouldn't really count towards score. The destruction of valuable BP can be a huge strategic asset to either team, powered or not. However, it is obviously not difficult to kill unpowered buildings. So, in my humble opinion, the score value should be lessened somewhat, but not entirely removed.

Builders should also be properly rewarded for their efforts. ATM in gpp, building has little to no incentive (other than not losing). Maybe, a fraction of the dmg from rets/tubes/telsas/hives/trappers (I included trappers because they play a huge role for the alien team, and because other Alien structures rarely to a comparable amount of dmg as the equivalent human buildings) be converted into points for the individual who built the structure.

Building was made stratigic in gpp, let's make it valued in UNVQ.

Lecavalier~
Dretch
Clan: Pk, Formerly DSPro

Post by Lecavalier~ »

pre-sd structure kills should be worth a fraction of what they are now.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Hmm, I personally hold the belief that games should end before sd. Otherwise, both teams will just killwhore until sd, then the first guy to get a lucky 3 snipes and a pounce into the human armory wins, or if the humans pull off a rush to take down the OM. Essentially, both teams should be going for the win at all times, instead of waiting for sd then attempting a rush. In fact, I want to try out F50's slowly increasing BP queue time patch and remove sudden death altogether. Sudden death is simply too exploitable.

Lecavalier~
Dretch
Clan: Pk, Formerly DSPro

Post by Lecavalier~ »

Ishq wrote:

slowly increasing BP queue

Now there's an idea.

Saliva

Post by Saliva »

I like kills more because I don't really care about general score. Kill/Death ratio is what I'm interested about seeing if I want to see how I'm performing. However showing kills has a negative effect on the gameplay because it encourages killwhoring. So I suppose showing score instead is the better option.