Your glory days of Tremulous

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
darkgusgus

Re: Your glory days of Tremulous

Post by darkgusgus »

The attachment powerrangers.jpg is no longer available

this is the only souvenir i have left from the old times, apart from my 203000 demos that is.

Best times for me were CTU, Z (when it was fresh and the server was constantly full) and my beginnings on trem when i was not able to get kills :'(

Attachments
powerrangers.jpg
ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

I wonder if that post of mine brought my reputation down :O

Btw, are you that gus that used to be seen on [][AA frequently?

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

justanothernoob

Post by justanothernoob »

I am new here, and I am from China (Hong Kong exactly)(Please excuse my English). I know that I do not belong to the large European community here but I hope you all will accept other people (just like me). I have played the Tremulous 1.1 and my best days were the times when I am the king in my school. My friend introduced Tremulous to me and a week later I pwn him. Then we promoted this to schoolmates and at peak periods we had 20 players together, some of them are good FPS players. And I OWN THEM ALL. Then I go to online servers and know that I am just a mediocre guy.

Anyway, just downloaded Unvanquished and hope I can get the same great experience from Tremulous. It was dead for such a long time that made me want to remake it in the future(I am just a learning web programmer with no skills in modelling/game design etc. etc.).

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Hey, don't worry, we are an international community. Welcome to our forums! Feel free to introduce your friends to Unvanquished and fill our servers! (As soon as they are filled for a few days in sequence, I expect them to stay that way – a lot of people are trying the game out at all times but don't find people to play with.)

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

justanothernoob

my best days in the online server is that I tricked a tyrant to step on my nade(we are not even stage 3!) and killed another tyrant by myself using pulse rifle when i retreat to base. The first dead tyrant is the top on the alien team and he just keep crying omg after then :-)

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Yeah, pulse's OP when you're the one that's being chased, if both have low ping. With high ping it kinda goes in reverse for some reason, I recall those GPP days where I chased even dragoons from human to alien base in ATCS hall and they're like "WTF" as they die.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

arf
Dretch

Post by arf »

Trem:
Topping the scoreboard with 250-300 ping unlagged off. Of course, the other team may not have been very skilled...
Also granger'ing the reactor on KoR servers.

Unv:
Getting a legit battlegranger kill with the new weight damage. How embarrassing.

justanothernoob

ViruS wrote:

Yeah, pulse's OP when you're the one that's being chased, if both have low ping. With high ping it kinda goes in reverse for some reason, I recall those GPP days where I chased even dragoons from human to alien base in ATCS hall and they're like "WTF" as they die.

Pulse is OP when you know the art of aiming. Sadly, I had about 300 ping(the server is in US) and I believe I'm just lucky since the second dead tyrant chase me in a straight line. I don't play GPP much since I don't like its mechanics

Banzai

Post by Banzai »

Bit of a grave-dig but those hundreds of hours of slogging away at uBP base defenses.

Anyone else who played uBP regularly still around by any chance?

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

justanothernoob wrote:

Pulse is OP when you know the art of aiming. Sadly, I had about 300 ping(the server is in US) and I believe I'm just lucky since the second dead tyrant chase me in a straight line. I don't play GPP much since I don't like its mechanics

I don't aim at the enemy with pulse. I just aim at the path which I take when back peddling/dodging. It works most of the time since most failrants and goons fail to strafe.

As for GPP, I just use pulse rifle like a painsaw pretty much. Yes, flamer, painsaw, pulse rifle - I all use them the same way, only that with flamer I don't get too close when the enemy's idling, if I were to do a type/afk frag, which I don't recall doing for about a year.

One thing I hate about GPP is the modified armour system. Sure, it's more realistic since the 100-20 damage difference in 1.1 is just unreasonably large from buying 170 credits worth of armour, but it was balanced in 1v1. I knew some people who pounce whore'd well in 1.1. It's easiest to do with low ping though.
Anyway I just hated the fact that you could get killed in 0.8 seconds without the enemy having to hit you dead-on. (Pounce works likes dretch bite, it's an auto-hit. Tyrant trample is different, it uses the hitbox. In fact, Why doesn't the dragoon use its own hitbox too?)

arf wrote:

Trem:
Topping the scoreboard with 250-300 ping unlagged off. Of course, the other team may not have been very skilled...
Also granger'ing the reactor on KoR servers.

phpBB [video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr2mJZlr6UI[/video]
At the time I didn't know how far to aim ahead, but here's a video of me getting top score with 400 ping.
Part one has more hitscan weapons and hitting, but I had terrible music since I only just got the macintosh at that time (free rental, honestly all my computer can't handle camtasia recording while playing, I get shit fps).

These days when I play on korx, I generally take off projectilenudge when humans and I aim ahead by about 4-5 human widths. It's extremely hard as aliens due to the crapload of client-prediction errors.

Also, FYI the american KoRx gave me 320-ish ping, but it wasn't populated enough at my timezone for me to get any games on by the time I got a computer that could load the mod within 3 minutes (I time out before entering the game usually):/

ImageImageYou[TubeImage