cg_unlagged

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
Forty-Two
Mantis

cg_unlagged

Post by Forty-Two »

I was wondering what, exactly, it did. It's a sort of compensation for lag compensation, when turned off? When I tried it, it did 'feel' more like a lagged experience, but would that mean I would play without the power of the big hitbox, while other players on a server would still be able to?

I was a bit unsure if I should make a new thread for this, but there doesn't seem to be a 'random small questions' thread, and most of the 'general discussion' seems filled with greetings anyway.

0 = 0
Quod erat demonstrandum.

Whales
Dretch

Re: cg_unlagged

Post by Whales »

Setting cg_unlagged to 0 turns off server-side ping correction for your shots.

Unlagged does not increase the size of the hitbox, it compares the difference between server time and the arrival of your packets to determine where something was on your screen when you fired as a method to correct for the delay of your bullets.

Cg_unlagged exists as a remnant of GPP that was added to half-heartedly appease the European crowd of 1.1. Of course, it totally missed the point of their complaints, but that's another discussion.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

If you turn off unlagged, you should also turn off cg_projectilenudge since its just a visual disturbance otherwise.
Btw, this brings back an old memory: http://tremulous.net/forum/index.php?topic=15224.0
Rather than having unlagged server-side, i reckon it should be client-side because otherwise problems such as aiming behind/ahead of target arises when the connection is over a big distance, as it always is for us australians and asians...

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Forty-Two
Mantis

Post by Forty-Two »

Whales wrote:

Unlagged does not increase the size of the hitbox, it compares the difference between server time and the arrival of your packets to determine where something was on your screen when you fired as a method to correct for the delay of your bullets.

This has often been told to me, yet when I play unlagged, it doesn't matter if I hit the target itself or the vague area around it or the path of where the target used to be for, I dunno, 250 ms? It's a very noticable change. I know it doesn't actually increase the hitbox, but it does seem to 'correct' missed shots to where the hitbox is. I experience it as a bigger hitbox, and not just when I'm trying to dodge things, it's especially noticable when I'm aiming myself.

It does miss the point, but I think I'll be using it a bit: I'll make it harder for myself, but at least I won't lose my lagged-aim.. hopefully :)

ViruS: What does projectilenudge do then?

0 = 0
Quod erat demonstrandum.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

You're australian, yet you don't know because you've never played on gpp, KoRx, Lolards [running on lakitu7 which supports it] or R funserver CZ.
In simple, unvanquished would probably be the first time you would've encountered it.

Okay lemme give you an example. You know [][][][]AA server? When you fire the luci, it takes time before it actually comes out, and if you're moving it doesn't really spawn from your gun? In reality your client waits for the server to confirm that you shot it and the server displays its velocity vector and its position.
Projectilenudge simply nudges that projectile forward for you so when unlagged is supported as well as projectilenudge [in most servers it is so don't worry about this] the server will also backtrack your projectile [i.e. it should hit whatever it hits] while client-side, you'll see the projectile nudged forward in real time so it doesn't appear to spawn late.

The side effect of the client-side visual effects is that they float on surfaces.

Try comparing these two videos of KoRx and a gpp game:

KoRx euro, Last year on the macintosh, recorded live with cg_projectilenudge enabled, without unlagged enabled server-side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr2mJZlr6UI

KoRx euro, This year on me new computer, recorded live, cg_projectilenudge disabled and server is unlagged disabled:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxJWgvK0LOk

Live recording on a Gpp server: "Fg" [Fight for Glory, NOT For Glory, and yes i did tell them the existance of the australian one] from europe, with unlagged and cg_projectilnudge on with a dodgy connection causing unlagged to work like 150 ping lagged:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8YuL6KFjIk

Cg_projectilnudge is unreliable, we should change it as well.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Forty-Two
Mantis

Post by Forty-Two »

ViruS wrote:

You're australian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14
points to 'Location'

Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

0 = 0
Quod erat demonstrandum.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

oops, might have gotten you and the other 42 mixed up :/

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Forty-Two
Mantis

Post by Forty-Two »

Yes, when I chose the name I only played Single Player games. I didn't realize there was another Forty-Two in Tremulous until one or two years in, when some random person confused me with the Australian one. And now there's this American one too. I actually don't mind much, I guess it's a risk that goes with the name.. besides, there used to be pretty much no overlap in communities, so meh. Just remember I'm the Dutch one from (Ph!los) who spent most ingame time at Wraths helping newbies, and the rest of it playing with the remnants of the old semi-competitive lagged community.

At any rate, I'll be using cg_unlagged 0 and cg_projectilenudge 0 for now. It probably won't do my stats much good, but I don't much care for those anyway, and it'll make it more fun for me (and I'll get to keep my aim). Thanks for the info :)

0 = 0
Quod erat demonstrandum.

Whales
Dretch

Post by Whales »

ViruS wrote:

Rather than having unlagged server-side, i reckon it should be client-side because otherwise problems such as aiming behind/ahead of target arises when the connection is over a big distance, as it always is for us australians and asians...

This is called client-side prediction, and if you've ever played a game where a hacker killed everyone in the server with one shot, you'll know why it's a terrible idea.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Whales wrote:

This is called client-side prediction, and if you've ever played a game where a hacker killed everyone in the server with one shot, you'll know why it's a terrible idea.

It's the same thing when you have a low pinger with an aimbot. vs a modfied client with client-side unlagged and aimbot.
Btw, i have never seen a game where someone modified his client to kill everyone in one shot. The server has to confirm if its possible usually such as explosion radius etc.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage