Has development stopped?

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
RaptorHunter182

Has development stopped?

Post by RaptorHunter182 »

I have been a fan of this game for a long time i was so happy when the big update announcement came out but now, a year later, there still is no update. :( I was wondering if the update is just going to be a lot bigger than expected or if delvelopement has stopped completely. Please dont let this game die!

illwieckz
Project Head

Re: Has development stopped?

Post by illwieckz »

Hi, the answer is between. :wink:

You can look at my answer there about “development activity”. For sure, development has not stopped and is not stopping. But yes, development has slowed down is some topics, in other topics not. Well we all have a life and sometime we have less free time, and it looks like this happened to some people at the same time. :tongue:

So,

• Topic that is currently paused: gameplay. Well, no one wants to pause that, but it just looks people working on this part of development are currently less available than before, or are waiting for some other work to be done first, this would change when they find more free time again or when they think it's time to work on it again.

• Topic that has slowed down: model replacement. A lot of work was done (as you seen in the last news), but it's unusable until 100% is one. For example we have a lot of already modelled new stuff, but sometime the animation is not finished or the model is just not integrated in the game yet, sometime the missing 10% takes 90% of the time, especially when the one who does the 10% remaining is lacking free time.

• Topic that is active: engine. Not as fast as before, but lots of big underlying changes done. Badly, not probably something very useful for players, but changes that makes the development far far easier.

• Topic that is very active: assets repositories. That's a lot of work, a multiple year lasting effort that is now a thing. We are now able to track and not forget changes on the whole area of development. That's something that would looks useless on first view, but development will just go insane through ages without it (increasing risk of discouragement because of lack of proper method of working), so, that's very important even if not affecting directly the game play.

• Other topic that are very active: editing tools. For example, a complete Unvanquished support was added to the NetRadiant level editor. That's a very important milestone, a major milestone. :thumbup: A lot of work was involved on that. Since now, anyone who can build a current NetRadiant can map for Unvanquished without tricks, as a first class supported game.

So, as you see, much of the development was done on topics that makes development easier, precisely to avoid discouragement and avoid development slowdowns due to inadequate tools or inadequate method of working. That's very good, but yes, it's not very visible for the end user. It does not changes the game, it changes how the game is done.

I plan to write some news post to explain everything that was done, but I'm currently in vacation. :wink:

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

RaptorHunter182

Post by RaptorHunter182 »

Thanks for the reply it seems like you guys are very busy just know you guys have an awesome community that supports you this game is amazing!

Matth
Dretch

Post by Matth »

Hey guys,
so any news about Unvanquished in general? :bugeyes:

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Hi @Matth, see this poll! :grin:

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.