Please don't die

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Re: Please don't die

Post by kharnov »

seanofthedead wrote:

Great to hear the game isn't dead, I also can't wait wait to see what you guys have been working on.

You don't have to wait any longer.

https://www.unvanquished.net/?p=985

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

:bsuit: :bsuit: :bsuit:

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

ZerggedTrem.XH

Post by ZerggedTrem.XH »

Hello! Played a few minutes, recognized that damn Training Box map from the original Tremulous 10 years ago. The bots have sorta improved, I remember them getting demoed on the... MG servers? PureTremulous? One of those types. Been so long.

1-shotting helmetless people with dragoons like old times, punishing human scum by letting xenos getting that early lead... though Pounce is reeeaaallly tweaked to be low-power. Mixed feelings about dragoons not being Stage 1 anymore.

It feels so weird to play with a high resolution. Almost harder to land hits because the crosshairs are real small compared to the old days of 1024x768. Incredibly noticeable on Dretch. That hitbox the size of my thumb is still the size of my thumb and I foresee will screw me over on native 1440p.

People masterminding the Unvanquished team, THANK YOU SO MUCH! I hope the word gets out and more people start playing.

Needs more Granger rush! :granger: :granger: :granger:

Curious, I wonder if anyone that was on Tremulous remembers the (Spy) clan? I played often with the "(Spy)Zergling." handle with "Incognito" and two or three other people.

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

Oh yiss!

poVoq
Mantis

Post by poVoq »

I feel cheated... all the build up anticipation and still no release... :cool:

eternal

Post by eternal »

Alpha 50 is a year old today.
I would personally prefer another alpha sooner than a beta later... :)
It might actually be a good idea to release another alpha before the beta since there probably have been many changes.

Happy Easter!

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

seriously the gameplay is the problem. I don't think many of us care about the polished code yet. But then again, here is a question: Would you rather the project die with great gameplay but shit code, or shit gameplay and great code for others to use?

lamefun
Tyrant

Post by lamefun »

It's definitely more important to have great or at least passable gameplay than to have great code.

• If the game dies, there's a greater chance of revival of the game itself (if the game has bad gameplay and great code, its engine code is likely to be abandoned or maybe used to create something else entirely).
  • A non-inactive player community provides motivation for the developers so they are less likely to burn out.
  • More players mean more chances to acquire new developers.

Here's what I think are the two most important issues that will hopefully be addressed in Beta:

• Floor headbite with small aliens. Unless you happen to have this little piece of secret elitist knowledge, you won't be able to play aliens, you'll just die all the time.
  • Human camping. The first part of the problem is that you lose all upgrades if you die and because aliens can avoid most fights they know they'll lose while humans can't, humans often choose to stay in their bases for the fear of losing all their stuff. The second part is that aliens can't effectively attack the base with most of the human team in it because if they go all in, they might lose all their upgrades, and then they become dretches and can't attack the human base at all anymore. So aliens have to slowly and carefully grind the human base down turret by turret. Clearly, something has to be done.
illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

I don't know from where comes the idea about current work being all about engine code. :bugeyes:

These are quick statistics about commits since last release (only merged things):

Code: Select all

UnvanquishedAssets:              225
Unvanquished:                    171 (contains Dæmon changes before 2017-02-05 and some asset change until 2017-02-11)
unvanquished-mapeditor-support:  36
Daemon:                          26
Updater:                         13

These are more statistics about commits I made myself for Unvanquished (includes not yet merged stuff and work branches):

Code: Select all

UnvanquishedAssets:              318
Urcheon:                         188
unvanquished-mapeditor-support:  36
Wiki:                            33
NetRadiant:                      29
GtkRadiant:                      13
Daemon:                          6
Unvanquished:                    6
Sloth:                           2

You know, there is not yet any map editor with Unvanquished support merged in master, there was no asset repositories (there was only the pk3s, not very friendly to contribute and update). You can't work on a game if you haven't tool to make it and haven't places to store what you made. It's like writing a novel without pen and paper, saying “please focus on scenario” can't help until you get pen and paper to write down the scenario.

And well, since we talk about code, part of it is about writing code needed to make the game, some of it is to enhance the game (like the bot management that was added recently, something any decent game must have), so, not really about polishing l33t code.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

And if you play on servers, you will already get some backported changes autodownloaded (like bots being able to unstuck them from crates and bots leaving team when you join) and test some map preview like freeway or update like forlorn. Also some mappers published some nice contrib maps like hangar28, usstremor, stalkyard, ctcs and fortification, all of them currently playable on servers. So, yes, alpha 0.50.0 is one year old but meh, it just means it was a pretty stable release, there was no urge to publish something since some fixes and updates can be distributed by servers directly. :cool: