So I got a new computer...

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
ViruS
Granger

So I got a new computer...

Post by ViruS »

KHARNAGEKYUN I AM BACK!!!

While waiting half a month to download it, zap me up on the details of changes in a quick list since alpha.... uh.... 25...?

I've heard a few negative stories and have noticed the population is essentially dead outside pickupgames but regardless, I'm willing to cringe myself into re-trying this game that became no longer supported on windows XP w/ partial open gl 2.1 support.

To others that don't know about me:
I've known about this project from the early days because I play tremulous. Here's an old gameplay vid with my ultra stupidly lame copy-paste-edit-combine visual mod:

phpBB [video]

I've also modded tremulous itself in particular game code (xonotic-style weapon switching, acid gun etc.):
https://youtu.be/ZvSjk0fd06A?t=11m38s
(note: some visual/audio assets are stolen from xonotic, r funko cz and korx mods in tremulous in that video btw though I did make the blaster sound effects and the mass driver bullet sound as well as a few other stuff)

Few questions regarding Unvanquished since alpha 25:

1. Is the marauder walljump velocity not-clipping-properly bug still existing?
  2. When are the pickup games? (I cbf searching, might as well collect information in one spot)
  3. Is the tyrant still stupidly lame in big games (350hp, useless trample attack)?
  4. Flying aliens yet? I once heard Ishq was thinking of implementing something that resembles proper aerodynamics but I doubt it considering the control layout which probably means it'll fly more like the spectator camera.
  5. Are the resources system still overpowered early game, transforming those who fail to rush the enemy early game will get camp-blocked the rest of the game?
  6. Has the unlagged bug (where latency > 399msec is no longer lag compensated) been fixed yet?
  7. Is the luci still useless in DPS for small games in small maps?
  8. Did theinvsblman's work (hit point visuals, special particle rendering modes etc.) get implemented?
  9. Have the bots been improved? iirc I haven't seen fuma in a while but that might be just because I hardly visit the IRC channel nor check the github.
illwieckz
Project Head

Re: So I got a new computer...

Post by illwieckz »

2. When are the pickup games? (I cbf searching, might as well collect information in one spot)

Sunday 20:00 UTC

[Edit: nice to see you again! :bsuit: ]

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

SUNDAY 2000 UTC?!? That's bull. That's like 6am for me. No thanks.

Okay looks like I finished downloading just then.

I've had trouble connecting to aussie assault, perhaps it's outdated?
cl_parseservermessage: intelligible server message 8

Also first load seems to be just as long as loading Digital Combat Simulator. Is that normal?

Few other issues:

1. motion blur is laggy to start and stop.
  2. Tyrant is made even more useless with the introduction of rocket turrets
  3. Teslas didn't need to be removed because now humans have nothing to backup their turrets other than other turrets,
  4. Alien spikers are useless as hell. Especially when there's a dretch near the human.
  5. Rocket turrets are just lol.
  6. Controls adjustment interface is buggy. It doesn't set certain tihngs correctly (weapon switch can't be bound to mouse3 because its already bound, but bound for the alien team and not human team - I had to fix it myself)
  7. Radar is nice now with the wallhackery but for aliens i like the old tremulous style with the passive circular blips that rotate smoothly rather than along a boxy edge of the screen.
  8. Radar icons are a bit... boring
  9. Humans don't really need a radar for finding alien bases as long as they have a bait it seems. Considering radar cannot be equipt with jetpack, makes it even more useless. Only thing it really is useful against are hunter-like alien players that sneak up from the shadows.
  10. Humans can walljump. Seems the marauder's walljump bug is still here, which also means the human dodge bug is also still here, which also means that humans' walljump is more like a "I CAN SCALE THIS WALL" if done in a certain way. It's also very annoying when using a jetpack to get up ontop of a crate which you must crouch to get onto.
  11. New jetpack seems kinda NS2-ish. But okay, whatever.
  12. Drills look like extractors from NS2, again lol.
  13. I like new booster. Looks fugly but has a nice animation.
  14. Weapon switch animations still buggy.
  15. Marauder claws look like zombie arms in first person. Animations are more dodgy than previous 1.2 claw models.
  16. Player models still look like friggin robots. Seems nothing changed there. Old feedback but:
    a) Humans don't flinch
    b) Humans are always aiming through their guns.
    c) Aliens aren't as apparent to be robotic in tremulous but they are more robotic in unvanquished
  17. Battlesuit arms aren't active with the first person HD gun models.
  18. New mantis is kinda so-so. It's actually useful with high latency now. Does it slow humans when it gets close (server side)? I noticed a bit of a creep effect playing as humans. But tbh it kinda feels NS2-ish since the same equivalent is the free skulk with its leap ability that the commander researches.
  19. ADV granger and hive gets unlocked way too late, or at least in comparison to humans' counterparts.
  20. Humans can build literally everything by 5 minutes.
  21. Projectile nudge is bugged for gravity-based projectile weapons. My granger barb floats along the ground before hitting the wall.
  22. ADV goon barb feels depowered because of turrets higher health. I don't mind this tbh. It also feels slower, as if it falls to the ground a lot closer so more up lead is required.
  23. No flying alien :/
  24. Momentum pushback is kinda lame.
  25. Creep textures seem vacant. Too much open space in tem.
  26. I like new barricade. It actually barricades shit now but is hard to see through.
  27. Is there an option to remove the double tap dodge? Or at least change it so I can use it GPP-style with a bind to activate?
  28. CVARLIST is removed. What's the new replacement again? I forgot.
  29. Bots are still a bot stupid as botty ever.
  30. Would like a /callvote (addbot) (count/balance) feature.
  31. As I suspected, no one really plays. Spent some time on the french server during european afternoon time and no one joined. Masterlist dead as hell.
  32. Firebomb feels so useless.
  33. Forum verificataion system sucks. It won't let me put illegal tags and gives the wrong warning - says not enough characters for wrong tags or says post invalid if I use left/right arrow (greater than/less than) symbols.
bedhead

Post by bedhead »

I gotta agree on the human walljump ability. In the news, it said you can scale a crate that you wouldn't normally be able to by jumping alone. In practice, walljumping lets me scale an entire 1 story floor. The strafe ability is insane as it is now as well. Your velocity goes from 0 to faster than running at full speed and in a few bunny hops and you can get across a large room in seconds.

I also thought the human player model looks a bit funky. His head is too large for his body. Proportion wise, (total height) / (height of human head) = around 7 for a fully grown adult. The current player model is around 5 head height making him look like an overgrown child.

If you're from the USA and want to play on weekends at reasonable time I'll join you. I've just been playing against bots so far.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

bedhead wrote:

I also thought the human player model looks a bit funky. His head is too large for his body. Proportion wise, (total height) / (height of human head) = around 7 for a fully grown adult. The current player model is around 5 head height making him look like an overgrown child.

Never came up to my mind. It's probably because his shoulders and back are slumped that makes it seem that way to you.

The strafe ability is insane as it is now as well. Your velocity goes from 0 to faster than running at full speed and in a few bunny hops and you can get across a large room in seconds.

Used to be much more than just that.
Something I did as a test made the marauder superbly overpowered because of its acceleration modifier in tremulous, and if i were to do it in unvanquished it would be just be much more worse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5jOKq1yr4c

Oh and the human dodge-slide-velocity-not-clipping bug and the marauder's walljump bug exploit demonstrations can be found in that video. Although human dodge now works with double tap, you still can gain the same effect by dodging into a wall then maneouvering from the corner of the wlal and you'll zip along. Back then there was a stun timer which prevented you from bunnyhopping so I guess I actually preferred the old system. It's really bloody annoying when you're making minor adjustments while building and you dash to the side.