Help

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
red525

Help

Post by red525 »

I was writing an entire fucking thing here and it took lots of effort but then I accidentaly closed this tab. So fuck the little story and all the angry shit to explain my anger. Long story short, ex-Trem player, and I'm wondering what the fuck kind of shit this is. No flucking cluse AT ALL how to install this PoS, I've downloaded like 30 different fucking files but there's nothing that actually installs or runs the fucking game. Writing this makes me so angry I just hit my keyboard. No, really, do you need to be fluent in C++ or some such bullshit to install this game? What the fuck is wrong with an installer or a launcher or some shit? Why the fuck is this shit so complicated? Please help me get past all this stupid retarded bullshit to be able to play this game, because it looks good. Excuse the swearing & profanity. Help.

enneract
Programmer

Re: Help

Post by enneract »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/unvanqu ... p/download

Download, extract the archive and run daemon.exe.

Veyrdite
Wiki Wizard

Post by Veyrdite »

We know it's sometimes a pain when things all seem to fail and fall-down around you. Don't worry :)

What instructions are you following? Make sure they are the ones on the main site -- the instructions on the wiki are generally for more complicated tasks like compiling from scratch.

I'm assuming you are windows user. In that case the page gives you two options:

You have the following options:

• Download the portable, multi-platform package (via torrent or web)
  • Compile it yourself

Mentally place an 'or' between the two options :D. I recommend you go for the portable (universal zip) package, as compiling is tedious for most users. You should just have to extract that somewhere and run a batch file (included in the archive) to start the game. There will be a pile of files extracted, but you shouldn't have to do anything to them.

Our community is very different from that of Trem and other game projects. We are a group of people who enjoys pursuing our own goals with the game and we very much use an 'Alpha quality' philosophy. You are definately going to encounter bugs, so please expect them -- checkout our bugtracker if you want to report things.

Veyrdite
Wiki Wizard

Post by Veyrdite »

enneract wrote:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/unvanqu ... p/download

Download, extract the archive and run daemon.exe.

I don't think he can run daemon.exe directly -- it needs to find fs_basepack and fs_homedir. There should be a batch file in there that does this for him, by memory.

red525

Post by red525 »

Can't run daemon.exe directly, just come up with an error saying something about not being able to find a base pak or something. Then it asks me if I want to copy it to clipboard. It's weird idk. All the other executable files don't do anything. cgame-qvm-native.dll is that what I'm supposed to open? Because my computer can't and asks me which program to use to open it. I have downloaded the lastest version from the universal zip or whatever, but I have no fucking clue what to do with it. game-nacl-native-exe glew32.dll irt_core-x86.nexe irt_core-x86_64.nexe libcurl-4.dll libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll libstdc++-6.dll libwinpthread-1.dll OpenAL32.dll SDL2.dll sel_ldr sel_ldr64 ui-qvm-native.dll zlib1.dll That's all the files that are in the folder apart from the 3 daemon files, which are all useless. Do I have to download other files or whatever and manually put them inside this folder in order for the game to work? Please help.

red525

Post by red525 »

red525 wrote:

Can't run daemon.exe directly, just come up with an error saying something about not being able to find a base pak or something. Then it asks me if I want to copy it to clipboard. It's weird idk.

Unvanquished 0.30.0 Windows x86 Aug 5 2014

Home path: C:\Users\Dell\Documents\My Games\Unvanquished
Pak path: C:\Users\Dell\Desktop\win32/pkg
Pak path: C:\Users\Dell\Documents\My Games\Unvanquished/pkg
Could not load base pak 'unvanquished', falling back to default
Could not load default base pak 'unvanquished'

Does that help?

killing time
Programmer

Post by killing time »

Inside your Documents folder, create a directory "My Games\Unvanquished\pkg" and copy all files with a .pk3 extension into there.