Alien building models

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Alien building models

Post by kharnov »

Finally, alien buildings. 

This is our progress so far on structures for the alien team. Several are in-game already, others are in-progress and will be added soon once we code new gameplay for them. Two new, non-Tremulous structures are the leech and spiker, the latter of which was partially inspired by Gloom. Models in these shots have not been shown with creep, to emphasize details on the lower parts of the models.

Overmind[img]//www.unvanquished.net/images/article_overman.png[/img]

After an earlier design for the overmind didn't go the way we wanted, we went back to the drawing board and came up with a more feasible concept, shown here. Instead of smacking you with tentacles, this new overmind design is meant to emit some sort of psychic or sonic screech, causing damage in a wide area and possibly using the heat haze effect or some other means to disorient you.

Acid tube[img]//www.unvanquished.net/images/article_acid.png[/img]

This was one of our first models to be completed after our first release, and for the most part it resembles the original Tremulous acid tube in gameplay mechanics. We recently found higher resolution textures for it, too. It still damages humans in an area around it, but it now uses a sort of gas effect instead of liquid. We would like to rename the acid tube to something more appropriate, but we are not entirely sure of a good name.

Spiker[img]//www.unvanquished.net/images/article_spiker.png[/img]

A new attack structure for the alien team, one that will be in-game very soon once we finish the coding portion of implementation. The spiker is a mid-level attack form that showers the area around it with highly damaging spikes that can be dodged, much like the rocket pod for the human team. Once the spikes are thrown, they need to regenerate before the next volley.

Trapper[img]//www.unvanquished.net/images/article_trapper.png[/img]

One of our other earlier models, restored to the way it was supposed to look with the rediscovery of some higher resolution textures recently. It still fires blobs that trap humans and hold them in place, although we may reanimate the model in a less rigid way. The gameplay will probably remain stable, considering its function is not entirely up to broad interpretation.

Hive[img]//www.unvanquished.net/images/article_hive.png[/img]

Another new model recently finished, although we will probably play with the textures and the glow map on the eyes. Unlike the Tremulous hive, which fired off an animated sprite, the new hive actually has small, animated flying aliens that will buzz around you while dealing damage. Each one will probably act independently and will probably last longer, and once they've killed one human, they'll go on to the next.

Booster[img]//www.unvanquished.net/images/article_booster.png[/img]

We got this model into a recent release, and gave it a new healing effect shortly after. The booster is a blobby friend that will heal you and provide you with poison gas to rub onto your claws and cause toxic damage to humans you maul. Make sure to build these on the route to the human base.

Egg[img]//www.unvanquished.net/images/article_egg.jpg[/img]

After an earlier attempt didn't sit well with animation, we've redesigned the egg and are currently working on a new model. This one resolves the strange bounding box found in Tremulous, where the bulk of the egg was not damaged by attacks and could be passed through. Instead, this egg will fit its bounding box, and will spawn aliens through a growing yolk sac in the center that will erupt into a spray of particles before regenerating for the next spawn.

Barricade[img]//www.unvanquished.net/images/article_barricade.jpg[/img]

We have a concept for the barricade, but we haven't gotten to work on it just yet. It will act much like the Tremulous one did, absorbing projectiles so that other buildings can work their magic, or at least keep humans preoccupied at doors. The model will stretch up and down to accommodate aliens passing over it.

Leech[img]//www.unvanquished.net/images/article_leech.jpg[/img]

Shown above is one attempt at the model, which unfortunately ended up having some crucial problems, but the design will more or less resemble what is shown. When we remodel it, you can expect the leech to be vaguely fungal, sucking some sort of undefined resource out of the ground to power your expansion efforts.

Click here to read this article on the main site!

Last edited by kharnov on Fri May 23, 2014 3:10 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
DwarfVader
Mantis

Re: Alien building models

Post by DwarfVader »

I like The OM concept and the mentioned defense method! Also a pretty nice idea to reuse the heat haze effect for that!

my favorite possible acid tube replacement name is inspired by the animal class of the http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portugiesische_Galeere which is Hydrozoa or plural Hydrozoen

I think the spiker model looks a little bit too metalic. my impression is that though that look implies a strong soild hard hitting metallike spikey look ....ist just a little bit too much and doesn't fit that right and should look more organic like the other alien structures. A new Texture could help to disguise its booster "potato" origin as well, because it is too obvious for this model :wink:

The trapper is a good solid model. nothing spectecular but i like to build them a lot! I would love them even more if they could act as extinguisher, if a granger is not there to spit out those nasty human flames :smile:

the Hive looks very good. i like it very much! very good work!!

the new egg model looks very promissing, though it is hard to tell from these pictures how large it will be? it looks very wide to me.

the barricade and in particular the "soild" look of 2 or more barricades build close together is something i would like to see/read more of.

I don't like the funghi model as leech. good to read that it is beeing reworked - i tend to like those structures the most where you can see some sort of heredity to the other alien structures - that fungus just doesn't fit.

Thank you for that article. good work! keep it up!

Sorry for my english
DwarfVader

not the beeees

Post by not the beeees »

Nice! I'm particularly excited about the hive changes.Now all we need is something durable for grangers to hide in. Or some kind of poaching fine.

Obani

Post by Obani »

We...Just...NEED IT!

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

I didn't liked the first concept art for the Overmind, but I absolutely love this one. While I'm not convinced by a psychic effect, the use of the heat effect is a good idea like DwarfVader said. Maybe use it for radioactive emissions from the OM?

The Spiker is an excellent idea, but maybe it looks like a bit too much to the booster, some small modifications to the textures can do the trick.

Excellent idea for the Hive's mechanism, same remark as for the Spiker for the model.

The Booster is very nice, nothing to add, but I like to think the red gaz it emits have only a defensive aim, and that aliens rub their claws and teeth with a liquid or semi-solid volatile poison oozing from the Booster which thus explain the time-limited action of poison.

Regarding the egg – Wow! – I'm speechless, both model and mechanism are perfect.

The barricade now, I rejoin DwarfVader somehow, it would be interesting if barricades tile together in a sort of continuum when two or more are positioned close to each others.

A mushroom-like design for the Leech is a good idea, especially when you know to what extent mushrooms are filters in nature.

P.-S. – @Obani: join us every sunday for weekly public development games at 20:00 UTC, we are 12–18 players!