The lasgun

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

The lasgun

Post by kharnov »

Here's a look at our new lasgun!

ImageThe lasgun was one of the first weapons available to the human team in Tremulius, slightly overlapping the rifle's niche by trading short-range rapid-fire damage for long-range stability and stronger shots. Highly effective at medium range, the lasgun could fire indefinitely as long as it had ammo, without the irritating need to reload. Wearing a battery pack would allow for more ammunition to be carried, although this precluded the usage of a jetpack. Both packs were particularly useful, with one allowing for longer periods of fire, while the other allowed the user to hover in mid-air, raining accurate fire down below.

ImageOur rendition of the lasgun will likely change to reflect something more like a beam rifle, which has been one of the proposed names for it. The idea is that instead of acting like an SMG with slightly altered stats, you would instead hold the trigger down to focus a damaging laser on your opponent, complete with a beam effect that will range across the map if you fire it at the right spots. We may also give it a scope, and while it would be weaker than the one on the mass driver, it would aid in using the weapon to pick off enemies at a distance. Naturally, since there's no recoil involved, there wouldn't be any spread.

The model is currently being done by chris807, off a concept by art contributor KenanJ. Some other work done by chris807 includes the turret, reactor, and grenade models. You can also expect a lucifer cannon from chris807 in the future.

Click here to read this article on the main site!

Last edited by kharnov on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ViruS
Granger

Re: The lasgun

Post by ViruS »

Our current md3 lasgun has flame balls that don't match the "light amplification by stimulation" which didn't make sense...
Well the current system has illogical things like repulsive zaps (in reality they suck you in a bit as well as forcefully activating your muscles) and insta-gassing...

I'm thinking what if we multiplied its knockback...
I always thought of the lasgun as a powerful projectile weapon due to its "tshou" fire sound and enjoyed its OP-ness when circling aliens. :angry:

StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

Nooo. The model looks surprisingly good but the Lasgun was the best weapon in the game... Now you're taking that one away too! Is nothing sacred? (Don't talk about Grangers) Beam weapons never work well...

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

StalKermit wrote:

Nooo. The model looks surprisingly good but the Lasgun was the best weapon in the game... Now you're taking that one away too! Is nothing sacred?

I vote for organized dogfights between people who want exactly Tremulous and people who want us to become a round based tabletop simulator. The last player standing gets to choose our goal.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

Viech wrote:
StalKermit wrote:

Nooo. The model looks surprisingly good but the Lasgun was the best weapon in the game... Now you're taking that one away too! Is nothing sacred?

I vote for organized dogfights between people who want exactly Tremulous and people who want us to become a round based tabletop simulator. The last player standing gets to choose our goal.

Sounds like a plan.

Elmo
Dretch

Post by Elmo »

If there is one thing the community can do just as well as the devs, it's name shit.
Plasma Rifle
Tesla Rifle
Disruptor
I'm sure we can think of something more creative then Beam Rifle ;p
Also I think a continuous beam of light as a weapon is silly

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

I propose we call it the lightning gun.

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

Shooty Beam Stick

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

I prefer "Zappy Zapping Zapper"

Elmo
Dretch

Post by Elmo »

Elmo wrote:

If there is one thing the community can do just as well as the devs, it's name shit.

Ishq wrote:

I prefer "Zappy Zapping Zapper"

Khaoz wrote:

Shooty Beam Stick

As usual I was dead wrong. Should we vote for it or compromise, "Shooty Zappy Beamy Sticky Zapper Zap"

Long live the legacy of:
[COM] [OPP] [ICE] =USA=
|AoD|[_MS} .!vR ?FH: .^
And many more...