Our new flying alien

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
StalKermit
Dragoon

Re: Our new flying alien

Post by StalKermit »

Viech wrote:

The Basilisk is pending a gameplay redesign and I'm strongly against maintaining the grab ability.

Whaaaat? Why not just remove the Basi entirely then? Don't even bother calling it a redesign if it loses the grab, call it something else entirely.

rolandixor
Dretch

Post by rolandixor »

I hope we get multiple classes of flying alien, including a flying builder.Not many, but maybe like 3 classes would be interesting.

Dracone
Dretch

Post by Dracone »

Given current conditions, balancing this new flying thing will be tough. The idea of actually putting it in the wide open, even with its speed, gives it a long time of exposure to human fire. Maybe if played with later jumps into open area battles so it's not focused, I can see it not being so soft. Also, perhaps the potential for circular maneuvers would be nice. I'd like to see it be able to do a dive to a wall and latch on. Overall I'm trying to say that I don't see any MAJOR purpose or fun -- as of yet -- in a flying alien unless one of its key points is rather extreme elusiveness. You can look at airborne marauders from Tremulous as a reason for this.

But balance comes later, as was mentioned. Personally, I think the design is excellent and I like the idea in general of a flying form.

P.S. Everytime you fuck with the baslick, mother nature strikes individual cute baby animals with a multitude of focused natural disasters, so fuck off.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

StalKermit wrote:

Whaaaat? Why not just remove the Basi entirely then? Don't even bother calling it a redesign if it loses the grab, call it something else entirely.

I don't get why people are so concerned about names but fine with me.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

Viech wrote:
StalKermit wrote:

I don't get why people are so concerned about names but fine with me.

The name is remeniscent of Tremulous. If you take away the Tremulous Basilisk's key feature then it's no longer a Basilisk in the Trem sense of the word. As this game is based off Tremulous people might expect the basilisk to be able to grab and it can be misleading.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

StalKermit wrote:

The name is remeniscent of Tremulous. If you take away the Tremulous Basilisk's key feature then it's no longer a Basilisk in the Trem sense of the word. As this game is based off Tremulous people might expect the basilisk to be able to grab and it can be misleading.

IIRC, all aliens and human weapons will be renamed sometime before beta.

Last edited by seana11 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

I don't see why can't we keep old stuff. We could have a "g_nostalgia" variable or something that rids them temporarily, or we could have a lot of alien classes (currently aliens lack variability)

StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

ViruS wrote:

I don't see why can't we keep old stuff. We could have a "g_nostalgia" variable or something that rids them temporarily, or we could have a lot of alien classes (currently aliens lack variability)

Mods \o/

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

There's nothing stopping anyone from making a "classic" mode. After all, the file formats are all compatible.

Dracone
Dretch

Post by Dracone »

Baslick Kills Everything With Catastrophic Genocidal Torture Nuclear Pain Rape Suffering Grief Grab mode.

On topic: flying alien