Why is this game so fast?

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
niceday

Why is this game so fast?

Post by niceday »

Hello!

Really nice game. Feels very complete for an alpha.

But what's up with the pace of this game? The walking speeds are so fast. It takes like 1 seconds, and you're already in the enemy base, and then you're dead but you have no idea which of the faster-than-light-enemies that killed you. And this is without even touch the sprint button. Is this in purpose? Can't help but feel that this could be a really scary and immersive game if it wasn't for everybody flying around you at cartoony speeds. Or is it just me who's not used to this type of fps?

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Re: Why is this game so fast?

Post by kharnov »

Actually, I can see where you're coming from here, and I've been discussing this with some others. The game does feel very fast, and we should probably slow players down and give them a broader field of view.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

The game has roots in the Quake series, a number of so-called twitch shooters, which are becoming less common these days. It should be noted however that running into the enemy base with the smallest (and fastest) alien form needs to get you killed rather quickly since otherwise you could use your speed to kill freshly spawned humans, which would be a great annoyance to them (and easy credits for you). Once you get used to it you will see that, atleast outside the human base, speed is the most powerful alien weapon. (You might even find that the thougher but slower aliens are even harder to play than the small and fast ones. :grin:)

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

arf
Dretch

Post by arf »

I feel like Trem had servers with reduced speed for the newer folk.
Or was it the opposite...

Yeah, definitely the opposite.

Personally I love the speed. But when I started it was absolutely nuts, basically everything stated by the OP.

Spiney
Dretch

Post by Spiney »

first response when showing Trem to friends:
"WHOA how do you even play that, that's soooo fast"

spudwebb
Debugger

Post by spudwebb »

The increased alien FOV and low height of some units makes everything look fast.

spudwebb
Debugger

Post by spudwebb »

Haha. Everytime I play a human I keep thinking humans are too damn slow! but then ishq dodges my adv goon for 30 seconds.