illwieckz: it's time to introduce myself

Discuss clans, events, servers, and more!
illwieckz
Project Head

illwieckz: it's time to introduce myself

Post by illwieckz »

Hi, I'm playing with you since some time, but never introduced myself.

I started playing tremulous after reading the announcement of version 1.1 on a popular French website named LinuxFr.org about Linux and Free software. It was in 2006, 8 years ago. :smile: In the glorious years I played a lot on the french server named bricosoft.

At the time I was a student, some friends where developing a map generator for tremulous named tremgen (Tom has talked about it in this forum here) and it was a school project (we had a very nice teacher :grin: ). Badly, like many school projects, it did not survived the year. This time was epic, we were hosting lan parties at school using a SiliconGraphic O2 as server, yes, a friend has ported tremulous to IRIX operating system. :bugeyes: It was a fabulous time.

I'm bad at every game I play. It takes me 8 years to get the intermediate level I have. :granger:

The first time I discovered the Unvanquished project I was amazed, and I still am. Since I'm now a writer on LinuxFr.org, I wrote some papers about Unvanquished ([1], [2], [3], [4], [5])…

I'm not a very prolific developer, but I maintain abandonned software, write installers and patchers for broken unmaintained games, and I host some servers for games that nobody plays. :cool:

I can translate some things, I started translating Unvanquished in the beginning but badly time ran out and I've never released something serious. :confused: Hopefully, others have done that (thanks to them). Perhaps there is something else I could do to help the Unvanquished project, but for the moment I don't know what.

I like to help people and I am an extremely loyal guy (perhaps too much, if possible).

In real life I work for a local FM radio station in south of France. I have a moped older than me, I do photography a lot and painting a little and I practice snowboarding. Like many French people I speak only French language, and I write a little bad technical English, and I mumble Spanish (can read more than I can write) and I can decipher some liturgical Latin (nevermind, I joke). :tongue:

I love playing Unvanquished like I played this day at dev game time. :bsuit:

So, I am convinced, I'll stay here a little while. :beer:

My favorite alien form is the granger :granger:.

By the way, illwieckz is obviously not my real name, and it means nothing at all.

See you soon!

Last edited by illwieckz on Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ishq
Project Head

Re: illwieckz: it's time to introduce myself

Post by Ishq »

I prolly said this before, but welcome!

Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Post by Gireen »

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

sup

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Welcome to grangerland!

illwieckz wrote:

I'm not a very prolific developer, but I maintain abandonned software, write installers and patchers for broken unmaintained games, and I host some servers for games that nobody plays. :cool:

This is precisely what developers do. :tongue:

Welcome to the forums! :grin:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

Welcome illwieckz :wink:,

Those feels.... I started playing Tremulous in 2006 too.... I remember Bricosoft, The Beer Garden, Aliens Wrath, SatGNU and all the other servers.... European teams of that time – [F]lame, tHc, FSN, wwf, Empire, CY, .... The tremgen project and the map it created. All good old maps....

I remember everything: the beginning, the Golden Age and the beginning of the end.

illwieckz wrote:

I'm bad at every game I play. It takes me 8 years to get the intermediate level I have. :granger:

A bad player is a cheater, a camper or a troll, you fall in none of those categories, therefore you aren't a bad player.

illwieckz wrote:

Since I'm now a writer on LinuxFr.org, I wrote some papers about Unvanquished ([1], [2], [3], [4], [5])…

I have read some of these dispatches, they are accurate and complete.

illwieckz wrote:

[. . .] and I host some servers for games that nobody plays. :cool:

Enemy Territory: Legacy, Smokin' Guns, True Combat: Elite, ... Oh those feels!

illwieckz wrote:

Perhaps there is something else I could do to help the Unvanquished project, but for the moment I don't know what.

The kharnov may help you, I remember he was looking for people to write articles in languages other than English.

illwieckz wrote:

I love playing Unvanquished like I played this day at dev game time. :bsuit:

So, I am convinced, I'll stay here a little while. :beer:

:beer:

illwieckz wrote:

My favorite alien form is the granger :granger:.

Granger is love, granger is life! Hhhhhh!

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

A bad player is a cheater, a camper or a troll, you fall in none of those categories, therefore you aren't a bad player.

Yes you're right, I do not mean "bad player" like "someone who does not play the game", but i mean my average skills are due to a lot of practice during many years, and average people reach usually my level with less practice and less time. :tongue:

For example: I only managed to master the Advanced Marauder this month. I do not control the Tyrant yet, while the first time I played to tremulous was 8 years ago… Another example: the first time I played to Q3 Arena was many time ago on a Pentium 2 computer, Q3A is 15 years old. This month I finished two maps in hardcore mode, I still have 4 maps to finish Q3A in hardcore mode (which is not the nightmare mode)…

So, I have some skills playing Unvanquished, but it's noticeable only because Unvanquished is not widely known and played. When Unvanquished will begin to be known, I will resume my place among the average players. :cool:

Enemy Territory: Legacy, Smokin' Guns, True Combat: Elite, ... Oh those feels!

Yes, I'm a “nostalgeek” a bit, but I think I mostly play games in which the community is on a human scale. :grin: