EU/NA Development Game [ 2014-01-26 ]

Discuss clans, events, servers, and more!
Viech
Project Head

EU/NA Development Game [ 2014-01-26 ]

Post by Viech »

Player peak recovered from last week, matches were fun and close, way to go! I sneaked in a very quick implementation of a replacement class for the Basilisk, named Mantis. It is faster, hits slightly harder and instead of a grab, it has a certain type of pounce/dash some of you might remember from my experiments with the Dretch.

What has been tested?

(Relevant commits since last week. Newest on top.)

• Mantis health 50 → 75. Wallpounce cooldown 750 → 1000. (Changed after first match.)

• Remove (Advanced) Basilisk and Advanced Dretch. Add a basic implementation of Mantis.

• Set initial buildable health to 25%.

• Half human build delay timer.

• Make light armour available from the start.

• Remove alien group healing.

• Remove basic income.

• Refuel jetpack at armoury when a second worth of fuel is missing, regardless of jetpack state.

• Only refill ammo/fuel at powered structures.

Apart from that, there was a match on the new version of Perseus, but unfortunately I didn't vote it in time for the player peak because I was looking at yocto version numbers. Turned out to be only a 3on3. And then I also screwed up the building. Shame on me.

Statistics

Individual Matches

Average

Analysis

I'm happy with the general direction of the Mantis, even though it still is a rather rough class, lacking additional defining elements.

Multibuild can change the game significantly, we need more time to have a look at all implications. I feel this shouldn't be available to humans only as it's a very significant feature. The current build delay timer modifier of 0.5 might have been a bit too extreme (or maybe just right, implying the game could be going in a whole new direction). If we stick to means of fast building like this we'll certainly need to put more effort into preventing newbes from wasting a team's BP.

What's next?

The Mantis demands more character. It shouldn't remain a mere crossover between Dretch and Marauder. Even though Ishq suspects OP-ness, I feel loading the default attack with a slowth and/or stamina drain might finally fill the 2 evos gap with a viable class that remains flexible and useful during midgame. The pounce needs to be improved for usage on uneven ground. (The off-ground pounce, which has varying speed but a fixed length for angles between 15° and 45°, doesn't yet take the ground normal into consideration.)

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction